Privacy Information for State Government
Topics on this page
This page provides resources for California state government agencies on privacy practices and policies for protecting personal information.
- State Employee Privacy Training
- Privacy Inventory and Data Classification
- Security Breach Reporting and Notification Requirements for State Agencies
- Other Recommended Privacy Practices
State Employee Privacy Training
Protecting Privacy in State Government, Basic Training for State Employees
Privacy Inventory and Data Classification
Data Classification and Privacy Inventory
These materials were provided to departmental Information Security Officers and others at workshops conducted in November 2005.
Security Breach Reporting and Notification
Security Breach Reporting and Notification Requirements for State Agencies
- Security Incident Reporting Steps - California Information Security Office
- SIMM 5340C – Requirements to Respond to Incidents Involving a Breach of Personal Information (pdf)
- Appendix A – Breach Response and Notification Assessment Checklist (doc)
- Appendix B – Sample Breach Notice: Social Security Number Only (doc)
- Appendix C – Sample Breach Notice: Driver’s License or California ID Card Number Only (doc)
- Appendix D – Sample Breach Notice: Credit Card or Financial Account Number Only (doc)
- Appendix E – Sample Breach Notice: Medical Information Only (doc)
- Appendix F – Sample Breach Notice: Health Insurance Information Only (doc)
- Appendix G – Sample Breach Notice: Hybrid for SSN and Health Information (doc)
- Appendix H – Sample Breach Notice: Automated License Plate Recognition System (doc)
- Appendix I – Sample Breach Notice: User Name or E-Mail Address
- Appendix J – Breach Help – Consumer Tips Enclosure (English)
- Appendix K – Breach Help – Consumer Tips Enclosure (Spanish)
- Breach Response for Call Centers (pdf)
OTHER RECOMMENDED PRIVACY PRACTICES
- Making Your Privacy Practices Public (pdf)
- Medical Identity Theft: Recommendations for the Age of Electronic Medical Records (pdf)
- Privacy on the Go: Recommendations for the Mobile Ecosystem (pdf)
- Recommended Practices on Notice of Security Breach Involving Personal Information pdf
- Child Security Breach First Steps (pdf) A notice for breaches involving a child's Social Security number only.
- Recommended Practices on Protecting the Confidentiality of Social Security Numbers (pdf)
State agencies are encouraged to add a link to consumer information on secure computing to every Web page and online form that collects personal information. Use this graphic icon as a button to make the link conspicuous, and link to the URL for new Secure Computing information.
The California Office of Information Security (Office) web site contains links to other sites that are not owned or controlled by us. The information provided at these sites does not reflect the views of this Office or indicate an endorsement of a particular company or product. Please be aware that our Office is not responsible for the security and privacy practices of such other sites.